Fried Corn Meal Crusted Soft Shell Crabs
- 8 fresh or frozen soft shell crabs cleaned (if you are using frozen crabs they will already be cleaned. Otherwise remove the gills and cut off the eyes of fresh crabs.)
- 1 cup butter milk
- 1 egg
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 4 tsp old bay seasoning
- 3 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
Soft shell crabs are a blue crab which has molted and for a short period its new shell remains very soft and the whole crab may be eaten. Serves 4 (2 crabs per person).
- To clean crabs, cut away segment that folds under the body from the rear. With a sharp knife or scissors cut away the eyes.
- Lift back shell on either side and remove the lungs.
- Wash crabs well under running water.
- In a shallow dish add the buttermilk mixed with a beaten egg.
- Add the crabs and soak for 5 minutes.
- Combine the corn meal with the flour and season with salt, pepper and old bay seasoning.
- Dip crabs in buttermilk and egg mixture then into the corn meal/ flour mixture.
- Remove excess.
- Add oil to a large sauce pan or a deep fryer and heat oil to 360 degrees.
- Fry the crabs a few at a time for about 3 minutes or until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.