- 2 slices bacon diced
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Green beans, onions and bacon are the perfect marriage.
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Return to the skilled with reserved bacon grease to the stove.
- Cook the onion in the bacon drippings until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans and red pepper flakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the boiling water water into the skillet and cover the skillet immediately.
- Steam for about 15 minutes, shaking the skilled occasionally to keep the beans from sticking.
- Add the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook until the butter is melted. About 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cooked bacon over the beans and serve.