Green Beans with Bacon and Onion
|2 slices bacon diced|
|1/2 white onion, minced|
|1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed|
|1/2 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1/2 cup boiling water|
|1 tbs butter|
|1 tsp lemon juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
Green beans, onions and bacon are the perfect marriage.
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Return to the skilled with reserved bacon grease to the stove.
- Cook the onion in the bacon drippings until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans and red pepper flakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the boiling water water into the skillet and cover the skillet immediately.
- Steam for about 15 minutes, shaking the skilled occasionally to keep the beans from sticking.
- Add the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook until the butter is melted. About 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cooked bacon over the beans and serve.