Mussels with Parmesan and Garlic
|2 lbs of mussels, scrubbed and beards removed|
|1 cup Parmesan cheese|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup parsley, chopped|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|juice from 1 lemon|
|1 cup of white wine|
This is super simple absolutely delicious recipe. The mussels are steamed in white wine. Then they are topped with a garlic and Parmesan mixture and broiled until the cheese melts.
- Wash and de-beard mussels.
- Add white wine to a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Add mussels and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile add oil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and parsley to a bowl and mix well.
- When mussels open about 3 to 4 minutes remove from heat and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and add it to the oil mixture.
- Preheat the oven broiler to high.
- Meanwhile remove the mussels from their shells. Discard any that do not open.
- Reserve the bottom cupped portion of each mussel shell and return the shucked mussels to each shell.
- Top each mussel with a healthy teaspoon of the Parmesan/garlic/oil mixture.
- Place the mussels on a baking sheet and broil for several minutes or until cheese mixture lightly browns.
- Serve with crusty bread.