Indian Potato and Green Pea Samosas
|3 tbs ghee (clarified butter)|
|1 cup unbleached flour|
|1/2 cup chickpea flour (you can make this by grinding dry chick peas in a food processor)|
|1/2 cup plain yogurt|
|6 cooked potatoes, diced|
|1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed|
|1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|1 tbs ghee (clarified butter)|
|1 tsp garam masala|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|1/4 tsp turmeric|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|oil for deep frying|
- To make the pastry, add the flours to a bowl, then add the ghee and mix until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the yogurt and knead it into a smooth dough. Leave in a cool place covered for about 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion and add the ghee.
- Mix in all of the other filling ingredients and coo gently until the mixture becomes a little dry.
- Roll out the pastry very thinly and cut into 2 inch squares.
- Put 1-2 tbs of the filling mixture into the center of each pastry square, then moisten the edges and fold over into a triangle.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry the samosas in batches until golden brown. 3-5 minutes.
- Serve at once with chili dip if desired.