Shrimp Mojito Tapas with Honey Red Pepper and Mint Salad
|1 dozen extra large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on|
|1 and 1/2 tbs honey|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|2 cloves garlic|
|3/4 cup mint|
|1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves only|
|pinch of kosher salt|
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1 and 1/2 tbs red bell peppers, finely minced|
|1/2 large Spanish onion, quartered|
|1 tbs pickling spice, wrapped and tied in cheesecloth|
|1 bunch cilantro, chopped|
|1 and 1/2 cups frisee lettuce, roughly chopped|
|6 large radicchio leaves|
This is a spicy Latin dish flavored with honey, lemon juice, garlic and cilantro on a bed of fresh mint.
- In a blender, combine the honey, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro leaves and salt.
- Pulse until well blended.
- Drizzle in the oil while pulsing.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and fold in the red peppers.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the onion, cheesecloth wrapped pickling spice and chopped cilantro with 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to bring out the flavor.
- Add the shrimp, cover and cook at a simmer for about 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and plunge then into an ice bath until they are cool.
- Drain the shrimp.
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 1/2 of the dressing and in another bowl, toss the frisee with the other half of the dressing.
- Place the radicchio leaves on a large chilled plate or platter.
- Fill each leaf halfway with the frisee and mint and top with 2 shrimp each.
- Serves 6 as an appetizer.