Crispy Pig Ears
- 2 lbs of pig ears, all hair removed (any excess hair, if any may be removed by adding ears to boiling water for several minutes. The hair may then be easily scraped off with a knife.)
- 2 large onions, cut into quarters
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 head of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups of chicken stock (extra if needed)
- Canola oil for deep frying
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
This is a dish that many of us have never experienced. But we assure that once you try it you won’t be able to get enough.
- In a large baking pan add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and bell pepper.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add the pig ears on top of vegetables.
- Braise in a 275 degree oven for 3 hours. Add more liquid if necessary.
- After 3 hours remove pig ears and cut into strips.
- Using a deep fryer or a large sauce pan add 4 to 5 inches of canola oil and fry the pig ear strips at 360 degrees until golden and crispy. About 7 minutes.
- Remove pig ears from oil and drain.
- Season with salt and pepper.