|2 cups of dried black eyed peas|
|3 cups chicken stock|
|1/2 lb of ham hocks or salt pork|
|1 small bunch scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs parsley, chopped|
|red pepper flakes to taste|
|2 cups riced, cooked|
|1 stalk celery, chopped|
This is a traditional dish served in the south on New Years day to ensure luck and good fortune during the year.
- Place the washed and picked over black eyed peas in a large pot filled with 3 cups of chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and add the ham hocks or salt pork. (If you use salt pork eliminate the kosher salt)
- Reduce to a simmer and add the onions celery and garlic.
- Cook for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add water if necessary.
- When done remove the meat from the hock and add back to the beans.
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice to the pot about 1/2 hour before serving and simmer for 10 minutes.