- 2 cups cooked ham, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1 inch pieces or Cajun sausage cut into rounds.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 28 oz can to Italian plum tomatoes cut up, with juice (we like the Cento brand)
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth (use search engine for recipe) or use canned
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs creole spice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives,chopped
- 1 green pepper cut in to 1 inch, diced
- 1 rib celery diced
This is a classic Creole recipe full of savory flavors and spice.
- In a large saute pan and the butter and olive oil using medium heat.
- Add the celery, green pepper, garlic and onion. Cook until tender about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, broth, 1 cup of water, rice bay leaf, sugar, thyme, chili powder, creole spice , salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender
- Add shrimp and olives.
- Simmer uncovered, to desired consistency, about 10 minutes.