|2 cups cooked ham, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1 inch pieces or Cajun sausage cut into rounds.|
|3/4 cup chopped onion|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1 28 oz can to Italian plum tomatoes cut up, with juice (we like the Cento brand)|
|2 cups beef or chicken broth (use search engine for recipe) or use canned|
|1 cup long grain white rice|
|1 bay leaf, crushed|
|1 tsp sugar|
|1 tbs creole spice|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1/2 tsp chili powder|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined|
|1/4 cup pitted black olives,chopped|
|1 green pepper cut in to 1 inch, diced|
|1 rib celery diced|
This is a classic Creole recipe full of savory flavors and spice.
- In a large saute pan and the butter and olive oil using medium heat.
- Add the celery, green pepper, garlic and onion. Cook until tender about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, broth, 1 cup of water, rice bay leaf, sugar, thyme, chili powder, creole spice , salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender
- Add shrimp and olives.
- Simmer uncovered, to desired consistency, about 10 minutes.