Molasses Sugar Cookies
|3/4 cup shortening|
|1 cup sugar|
|1/4 cup molasses|
|2 cups flour|
|2 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp ground cloves|
|1 tsp ginger, powdered|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1/2 cup sugar|
Chewy and deliciously sweet.
- Melt the shortening in a large sauce pan over low heat.
- Let cool slightly.Add the sugar and molasses, stir then add in the egg and beat well.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda, spices and salt.
- Add the molasses mixture.
- Mix well and chill, covered for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes until they have crackled.
- Let cool slightly before removing to cooling racks.