Molasses Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ginger, powdered
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
Chewy and deliciously sweet.
- Melt the shortening in a large sauce pan over low heat.
- Let cool slightly.Add the sugar and molasses, stir then add in the egg and beat well.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda, spices and salt.
- Add the molasses mixture.
- Mix well and chill, covered for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes until they have crackled.
- Let cool slightly before removing to cooling racks.