- 3 and 1/2 oz butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 cups masa harina
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 12 Corn husks
- aluminum foil
3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 tbs oil
1/2 lb chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red chili, seeded and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Soak the corn husks in water for 30 minutes
- To make the dough, beat the butter with electric beaters or in a mixer until creamy.
- Then add the garlic, cumin, salt and mix well.
- Add the masa, cream and chicken stock and beat until well combined. The dough should be the consistency of a stiff pancake batter.Set aside.
- To make the filling add chicken to a frying pan and cook through. Cool slightly then shred the chicken.
- Add the corn, garlic, chili and onion to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken, tomato and 1 tsp salt and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced.
- Add 2 tbs of the batter to the center of each corn husk and top with 1 tbs of the chicken mixture.
- Fold over and seal both ends. Wrap each tamale in a piece of aluminum foil sealing tightly.
- Fill a large stock pot with about 5 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the tamales horizontally in the pot, cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Alternatively you may add the tamales to a bamboo steamer and cook for 40 minutes over boiling water.
- To serve top the tamales with salsa or chili sauce.