Cornish Hens in Red Wine Sauce
|4 Cornish hens|
|24 pearl onions|
|4 carrots, cut in julienne|
|1/4 cup butter|
|3 tbs flour|
|1 cup red wine|
|1/2 cup sherry|
|1/4 cup brandy|
|1/2 cup chicken broth|
|24 button mushrooms|
|1/4 lb diced bacon|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- In a large dutch oven, heat the butter.
- Saute the hens until they are browned. Remove and reserve.
- Add the vegetables to the butter and saute’
- Sprinkle with flour, reduce heat and cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Return the hens and pour the liquids over.
- Add the mushrooms and seasonings, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a saute pan, fry the bacon, drain the fat and add the bacon to the hens.
- Place the hens into a large casserole dish, cover and bane in a preheated 350 degree over for 1 hour.
- Serve with rice.