Hot Indian Crab Souffle’s
|1/4 cup butter|
|3 tbs bread crumbs|
|4 scallions, minced|
|1 tbs curry powder|
|2 tbs flour|
|7 tbs coconut milk|
|2/3 cup whipping cream|
|4 egg yolks|
|1/2 lb lump crab meat|
|6 egg whites|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Use some of the butter to grease each of 6 (4 inch) ramekins or a 7 and 1/2 cup souffle dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs in the dishes or dish and roll them around to coat the base and sides completely. Then tip out the excess breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan and add the scallions, curry powder and cook over a low heat stirring frequently for about 1 minute or until softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute more.
- Gradually add the coconut milk and the cream, stirring constantly. Cook over a low heat until smooth and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg yolks. Mix well.
- Add the crab meat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff.
- Using a metal spoon, stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the crab mixture. Gently fold in the remainder of the egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekins or baking dish.
- Bake the souffles until well risen and golden brown. Just firm to the touch. About 8 minutes.
- If you are making a large single souffle’, baking time will be 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot right out of the oven.