Trinidadian Crab Curry Pilau
- 1 lb crab meat, picked over
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh hot pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 cups coconut milk
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbs fresh chives, chopped
This is a dish that originates from Trinidad/Tobago.Directions:
- Put the crab meat into a bowl and add the lime juice and set aside.
- In a heavy casserole, heat the oil and butter and saute the onions, garlic, hot pepper until the onions are tender.
- Add the curry powder and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes, being careful not to let the curry powder burn.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about a minute longer, just to coat the grains.
- Add the coconut milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook covered over low heat until the rice is almost done. About 15 minutes.
- Fold in the crab meat and any liquid, and chives.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the liquid is all absorbed and the crab is heated through.