|1 tbs unsalted butter|
|4 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced|
|1 medium onion, thinly sliced|
|5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1 quart chicken broth|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|2 cups milk|
|2 cus whipping cream|
|white pepper to taste|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|2 tbs chives|
This is a classic French potato and leek soup.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and lightly saute the leeks, potatoes and onions.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool, then put mixture into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Return the liquid to the pan and add the milk. whipping cream.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper and return to a boil.
- Cool then pass soup through a wire mesh strainer.
- Chill soup and when cold add the heavy cream.
- Serve chilled and garnish with chives.