Jamaican Ginger Bread
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 1 oz freshly grated ginger root or 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 oz crystallized ginger, minced
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, allspice and salt together.
- Melt the butter cook and mix with the sugar molasses, milk and eggs.
- Add the the flour, blending thoroughly.
- Fold in the grated and the crystallized ginger.
- pour into a greased 9×5 loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- If using ground ginger instead of freshly grated ginger, sift with the dry ingredients.