Trinidad Black Bean Soup
|1 lb black beans|
|1/2 lb corn beef or pigs tails|
|1 medium onion chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|2 sprigs fresh parsley|
|1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried|
|2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped|
|4 scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|1 bay leaf|
|6 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 hot pepper, chopped|
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain, and discard the water.
- Put the beans into a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Add the corned beef or pig tails, the onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, celery, scallions, bay leaf, chicken stock and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 2 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf, remove the corn beef, or the pigs tail.
- Puree the soup in an electric blender, or in a food mill.
- Return the soup to the sauce pan, and taste for seasoning.
- You may return the corn beef and pigs tails if desired.