Chinese Steamed Buns
|2 tsp oil|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|1/2 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp sesame oil|
|2 tsp soy sauce|
|1 tsp oyster sauce|
|3 tsp cornstarch|
|1 tbs cold water|
|1/3 cup hot water|
|1 tsp hoisin sauce|
|1 tsp sugar|
|3/4 cup cooked pork, diced|
|2 and 1/2 cups ap flour|
|3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder|
|3 tbs sugar|
|2 tbs lard or vegetable shortening|
|About 1/2 cup water|
|1/2 tsp white vinegar|
These are delicious silky steamed buns filled with pork and spices.
- Heat oil in a wok or large saute pan. Add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce and cornstarch mixed with 1 tbs cold water.
- Cook and stir until thick and clear.
- Remove from heat and stir in the hoisin sauce and sugar.
- Stir in the pork, cook through then cool.
- To prepare the dough, stir flour, baking powder into a bowl, stir in sugar and rub in lard of vegetable shortening with your fingers.
- Add water and vinegar and knead until a soft dough forms. Shape into a smooth ball. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 to 8 portions and roll each into a 4 inch circle.
- Place a tsp of filling in the center of each.
- Bring up the edges to enclose filling making folds at the top, pinching to seal then twisting.
- Arrange seam side down on lightly oiled waxed paper or foil.
- Fill wok or saute pan with about 1 inch of water.
- Place buns and paper on a rack or in a bamboo steamer placed in a wok.
- Cover and steam for 20-30 minutes or until dough has cooked.
- Serve with soy sauce and or chili garlic sauce for dipping.