Deep Brown Beef Stock
- 5 lbs beef bones
- 2 lbs veal bones
- 3 lbs beef, shank, neck or brisket
- 4 carrots
- 3 leeks, washed
- 1 whole large onion, peeled and stuck with 3 cloves
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 10 black peppercorns
This is a super rich deep brown stock the is perfect for soups, stews and sauce reductions.
- Place bones and meat on broiler tray and broil about 3 inches from the flame for about 20 minutes, turning meat occasionally until well browned
- Place the meat and bones in a stock pot and cover with cold water by 3-4 inches. About 10-12 quarts. Cover and bring water to a gentle boil.
- Occasionally remove scum from the top of the stock.
- Add the vegetables and remaining ingredients, cover and gently simmer for 5-6 hours. Do not boil !
- Strain the stock and cool uncovered. Skim the fat from the top or once the stock comes to room temperature refrigerate for several hours to the fat can be removed when solidified.
- Stock is ready to use as a base for soups or brown sauces.
- Sauce will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days or 1-2 months if frozen.