French Crepes Suzette
- 2 sugar cubes
- grated rind of 2 oranges
- 1/2 lb of unsalted butter
- juice of 1 medium orange
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbs Grand Marnier
- 8 large crepes
- 1/3 cup additional Grand Marnier for flambe'
This is a classical French Dessert.
- Rub sugar cubes over the orange rind and set aside.
- Place butter, orange juice, rind. granulated sugar and 3 tbs Grand Marnier into the pan.
- Light the burner and adjust the heat to low. Add the pan to the burner.
- Heat to a very slow bubble then add the crepes one by one, first laying them flat in the sauce, then folding them in half and in half again.
- Arrange folded crepes around the perimeter of the pan, overlapping.
- Count 2 crepes per person.
- When all the crepes are added, turn the heat to high and let sauce bubble until reduced by about half.
- Add the sugar cubes and the reserved liquor for the flambe.
- Count 30 seconds the tip the pan to ignite.
- Once lighted, shake the pan once or twice, basting the crepes with the flaming sauce.
- Serve at once.