Sweet and Sour Pork
|1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|3/4 cup potato or corn starch|
|2 eggs beaten|
|vegetable oil for deep frying|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|2 tsp Mirin or rice wine vinegar|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, chopped|
|2 large dried shiitake mushroom, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes|
|1/2 onion, chopped|
|1/2 green bell pepper, chopped|
|1/4 carrot, cut into cubes|
|1 oz pineapple, chopped|
|1 tbs vegetable oil|
|2 tsp soy sauce|
|1/4 tbs sugar|
|1/2 tbs cider vinegar|
- Add the potato starch to 1 cup of water and leave for 1 hour. The starch should sink to the bottom.
- Marinate the pork with the soy sauce, Mirin or rice wine vinegar and grated ginger. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- When the soaked shiitake has become soft, remove the stem and slice.
- Cut the onion, pepper, carrot into cubes, then finely chop the pineapple.
- Drain the excess water from the top of the potato starch and water mixture.
- In a bowl combine the soaked starch with the beaten eggs.
- Add the pork cubes and evenly coat with the batter.
- Fill a wok or medium heavy pan 1/3 full with vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the battered pork and deep fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pork and drain on paper towels.
- Coat a wok or large saute pan with vegetable oil and place over high heat.
- add the onion, bell pepper and carrot and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup hot water or chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar and simmer for several minutes before adding the mushrooms and pineapple. Simmer for 1-2 minutes then add the egg mixture and stir until thickened.
- Add the pork to the pan and mix until well combined.
- Serve over rice.