- 2 large spanish onions, halved and sliced very thin.
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Caramelized onions are easy to make, they are essential for making onion soup and they are great spread over, roasted meats in on sandwiches. This recipe uses spanish onions, but we find that red onions are best used for onion soup.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan and using medium heat add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted add the onions and let them simmer for almost 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes add the sugar and cook for another 10 minutes at a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the pan and use as needed.