Caribbean Oxtail Stew
- 3 lbs oxtails, trimmed
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp ground annatto (available at Latin grocery's)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 tbs lime juice
- Heat the butter in a heavy covered casserole.
- Saute the trimmed oxtail pieces together with the shallots and carrots until the oxtail is lightly browned all over .
- Add enough beef stock barley to cover.
- Add the annatto, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat, skim off the excess fat, reserving 1 tbs to mix with the flour.
- Mix the flour and fat together and add to the stew, stirring over low heat until the liquid is lightly thickened.
- Stir in the rum, partially cover, and cook over low heat for another 15 minutes, or until the oxtail is tender.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with boiled potatoes or any starchy root vegetable.