Caribbean Oxtail Stew
|3 lbs oxtails, trimmed|
|4 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup chopped shallots|
|1/2 lb carrots, peeled and sliced|
|2 cups beef stock|
|1 tsp ground annatto (available at Latin grocery's)|
|1/8 tsp cinnamon|
|1/8 tsp nutmeg|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs flour|
|1 cup dark rum|
|1 tbs lime juice|
- Heat the butter in a heavy covered casserole.
- Saute the trimmed oxtail pieces together with the shallots and carrots until the oxtail is lightly browned all over .
- Add enough beef stock barley to cover.
- Add the annatto, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat, skim off the excess fat, reserving 1 tbs to mix with the flour.
- Mix the flour and fat together and add to the stew, stirring over low heat until the liquid is lightly thickened.
- Stir in the rum, partially cover, and cook over low heat for another 15 minutes, or until the oxtail is tender.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with boiled potatoes or any starchy root vegetable.