Cold Melon and Cucumber Soup
- 2 ripe medium cantaloupe melons
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3 large mint stems, crushed
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- mint sprigs for garnish
This is a cold refreshing soup that is perfect for a hot summer day.
- Halve and seed the melons, then roughly chop the flesh.
- Peel halve and seed and chop the cucumber.
- Place the melon flesh and the chopped cucumber in a large saucepan along with the lemon rind, sugar and 2/3 cup of water. Stir well.
- Heat stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed mint stems and let cool.
- Discard the mint and lemon rind.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, then push through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add a little lemon juice to taste. Adjust the seasoning and garnish bowls with mint leaves.