Deep Fried Potato Skins
|8 baking potatoes about 4 oz each|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2/3 lb ripe tomatoes|
|1 tbs chili sauce|
|2/3 cup sour cream|
|2 tbs chopped chives|
|oil for deep frying|
|Scallions and cilantro sprigs for garnish|
- Scrub the potatoes and dry them well with paper towels.
- Thread the potatoes on skewers, then brush them with the oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place directly on the oven shelf and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until cooked through. About 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the dips.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and scallions and mix with the chili sauce, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream with the chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dips, then refrigerate.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove from the oven and cut them in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out the flesh, leaving a lay of potato about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut each skin in half lengthwise.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer fill 1/2 full with oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Deep fry the potato skins, a few at a time for about 1 minute or until crisp.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the bowls of dip n the center of a large platter and arrange the potato skins around.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and chopped cilantro.