The Bavaria Grilled Cheese
- 4 small red potatoes
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 3 tbs kosher salt
- 3 tbs canola oil
- 4 knockwurst sausages
- 1 yellow onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 tbs butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices dark rye bread
- 16 slices Wisconsin Edam cheese
- 1/2 lb prepared sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
This recipe is adapted from the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese academy. It’s prepared on rye bread with knockwurst, red potatoes, Wisconsin Edam cheese and sauerkraut.
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water, add kosher salt, then bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let stand for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove potatoes from water and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Slice into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat, add canola oil.
- Add the sausages to the pan and fry until browned, then remove to a plate.
- Return pan to heat and add potato slices and onions.
- Fry with a pinch of salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes or until onions are translucent and potatoes are lightly browned.
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise and add t the pan with the potatoes and onions.
- Heat another skillet over medium heat, then spread butter on ne side of the bread slices and place 4 slices, butter side down in the skillet.
- Top each slice with 2 slices of edam, 2 tbs of sauerkraut, 2 halves of sausage, a spoonful of potato/onion mixture, and 2 more slices of the Edam, in that order.
- Place a piece of bread on top of each, butter side up.
- Grill sandwiches until bread is golden and cheese is melted, turning once during grilling.
- Serve with mustard on the side.