The Sergeant Pepper Grilled Cheese
|2 tbs butter|
|1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces|
|kosher salt and black pepper|
|1/2 cup flour|
|1/2 cup rice flour|
|2 tbs cornstarch|
|1 cup club soda|
|canola oil for frying|
|2 yellow onions, thinly sliced|
|8 slices sourdough bread|
|4 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|4 slices Wisconsin Pepper jack cheese|
|4 slices Wisconsin Cheddar cheese|
This recipe is the courtesy of Wisconsin Cheese. It contains Wisconsin pepper jack, cheddar cheese, tempura fried onions and sauteed cauliflower on sourdough bread.
- Heat large saute pan over high heat. Add butter and cauliflower and saute on high heat until brown, stirring so cauliflower doesn’t burn.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- For batter, whisk together the flours, cornstarch and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk in cold seltzer water until smooth. Water must be cold. Store batter in refrigerator until ready to fry.
- Heat 3-4 inches canola oil to 350 degrees in a saucepan or deep fryer, then dip onion slices int the batter to cover and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel lined plates and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Drizzle one side of each slice of bread with a 1/2 tbs of olive oil, then place 4 slices, oil side down on grill.
- Top each slice with Pepper Jack, cauliflower, fried onions and a slice of cheddar, in that order.
- Place remaining 4 bread slices on top of sandwiches, oil side up.
- Grill turning once, until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted.