Eggs Benedict Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|3 tbs white wine vinegar|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|8 slices Canadian Bacon|
|4 tbs butter divided|
|4 English muffins, split|
|4 slices Wisconsin, sharp cheddar|
|4 slices Wisconsin gouda|
|4 ounces fresh spinach leaves, stems removed|
|1 tomato, sliced|
This recipe is the courtesy of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy. It is made with Wisconsin Gouda, sharp, cheddar, canadian bacon, fresh spinach, sliced tomatoes and eggs, atop English muffins.
- Heat 3-4 quarts water to just below boiling point. Add vinegar and a pinch of salt. Gently stir the water, then lower heat so water is simmering.
- Crack eggs into the water one at a time and poach them gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and fry the canadian bacon until lightly browned. Remove from griddle and set aside.
- Add 1 tbs of butter to the skillet, then spread each bottom half of English muffins with 1 slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Place in a heated skillet and top each bottom in the pan with 1 slice of Gouda, about 1 oz spinach, 2 slices Canadian bacon and 1 slice of tomato.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Remove to a plate and top each with a poached egg.
- Serve open faced with remaining muffin halves, toasted and buttered on the side.