Eggs Benedict Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 3 tbs white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 slices Canadian Bacon
- 4 tbs butter divided
- 4 English muffins, split
- 4 slices Wisconsin, sharp cheddar
- 4 slices Wisconsin gouda
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 tomato, sliced
This recipe is the courtesy of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy. It is made with Wisconsin Gouda, sharp, cheddar, canadian bacon, fresh spinach, sliced tomatoes and eggs, atop English muffins.
- Heat 3-4 quarts water to just below boiling point. Add vinegar and a pinch of salt. Gently stir the water, then lower heat so water is simmering.
- Crack eggs into the water one at a time and poach them gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and fry the canadian bacon until lightly browned. Remove from griddle and set aside.
- Add 1 tbs of butter to the skillet, then spread each bottom half of English muffins with 1 slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Place in a heated skillet and top each bottom in the pan with 1 slice of Gouda, about 1 oz spinach, 2 slices Canadian bacon and 1 slice of tomato.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Remove to a plate and top each with a poached egg.
- Serve open faced with remaining muffin halves, toasted and buttered on the side.