Caribbean Conch Chowder
|2 lbs fresh conch meat, cleaned|
|1/2 cup lime juice|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|2 oz salt pork, cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Bouquet garni (4 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, celery leaves, 2 or 3 basil leaves, 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper and a bay leaf, tied in cheesecloth.|
|2 cloves garlic|
|2-3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|1/8 tsp cinnamon|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
- Place the conch in a non metal container and add the lime juice. Let it marinate for several hours, then drain and rinse.
- With a meat mallet or heavy pan beat the conch thoroughly to tenderize.
- Cut the conck into 1/2 inch pieces and put into a heavy saucepan cover with water and simmer gently covered, until tender, about an hour and a half.
- Cook partially covered during the last half hour of cooking to reduce the liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy covered casserole, add the salt pork, conch, the bouquet garni, garlic, scallions, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Remove and discard the bouquet garni, add the lime juice and serve.
- Optional: you may thicken using 1 tbs of flour mixed with 1 tbs of butter.