Caribbean Marinated Dried Fried Beef
|1 and 1/2 lbs flank steak, cut into 1/4 inch slices (across the grain)|
|1/2 cup shallots, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp thyme|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped|
|4 whole cloves|
|4 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|2 tsp sugar|
|3/4 cup bitter orange juice or equal amounts of orange juice and lemon or lime juice|
|3/4 cup lemon juice|
|3 tbs vegetable oil|
This technique involves various kinds of meat or poultry that are cut into thin strips and marinated for several hours in a mixture of Seville (bitter) orange, lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, onions, chives, shallots, salt and hot peppers.
- Combine all the ingredients except the beef, vinegar and vegetable oil. Stir to mix well, then add the beef and enough vinegar to cover.
- Marinate for 6 hours, refrigerated, then lift out, drain and dry with paper towels.
- Place the marinated beef in a shallow baking dish, cover with cheesecloth and dry in the sun for 2 hours, or uncovered in a 170 degree oven for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy frying pan a saute the meat on medium-high heat until lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve with fried plantains and rice.
- Veal, turkey, chicken, goat and lamb may be cooked in the same way.