|2/3 cups buttermilk|
|1 tbs sour cream|
|2 large eggs|
|2 cups warm water|
|3 tsp kosher salt|
|7 cups, plus 6 tbs unbleached ap flour|
|1 lb ground turkey|
|1 lb ground pork|
|1 medium onion, finely diced|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|3 garlic cloves, pressed|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp hot sauce|
|Ideas for toppings:|
|Melted butter, sour cream, vinegar or ketchup|
Pelmeni are little Russian dumplings that are usually made with a savory meat filling.
- Using the whisk attachment on medium speed, mix together 2/3 cup buttermilk, 1 tbs of sour cream, 2 cups warm water, 2 eggs and 3 tsp kosher salt until well blended.
- Switch to dough hook and add 5 cups of flour. Mix on speed 2 until well blended. (note you may use a food processor as well.
- Add 3 more cups of flour, one cup at a time and wait for the dough to become well blended with each cup.
- Add the rest of the flour 1 tbs at a time, until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Once the dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl, continue to mix for 5 minutes. Total mixing time is about 20 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and saute until golden and soft.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Mix together pork, turkey, onion garlic mix 2 tsp kosher salt 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp hot sauce.
- To make the Pelmeni, shape a portion of the dough into a 1-2 inch thick log. Cut off 1 piece at a time (about gumball sized) and roll into disks to form a 1 and 1/2 inch circle with a rolling pin.
- sprinkle rolling pin and surface with flour if needed.
- Place 1 tsp pelmeni filling in the center, close the edges, then pinch together. At this point you may freeze the pelmeni for later use if desired.
- To cook the pelmeni, bring a pot of water to a boil along with a little salt.
- If you are using frozen pelmeni add the the water then return to a boil. They should float to the top, then boil for 3 minutes longer or until the meat is fully cooked.
- Drain pelmeni and pace them in a clean bowl.
- You may serve as is or toss them with butter or sour cream or vinegar.