Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 small hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced|
|1 tbs vegetable oil|
|2 oz small oyster mushrooms|
|5 cups chicken stock|
|1 lemon grass stalk, white part only|
|1 tbs white wine vinegar|
|1 small bunch watercress|
|3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the onion, chili and ginger and fry stirring for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, lemon grass and wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the watercress, discarding the stems. Add to the soup along with the shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lemon grass and adjust the seasoning before serving.