Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 oz small oyster mushrooms
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 lemon grass stalk, white part only
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch watercress
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the onion, chili and ginger and fry stirring for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, lemon grass and wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the watercress, discarding the stems. Add to the soup along with the shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lemon grass and adjust the seasoning before serving.