Jamaican Tropical Chicken
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 and 1/2-4 lb chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb fresh pineapple, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 oz water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Chicken stock, if necessary
- 1/2 lb snow peas
- 1 tbs fresh chives, chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the chicken pieces until lightly browned on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a heavy covered pan.
- In the oil remaining in the frying pan saute the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, but not browned.
- Add to the chicken, together with the pineapple and any juice, the water chestnuts, hot pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and cooked through, About 45 minutes.
- Add a little chicken stock if necessary.
- During the last 10 minutes add the snow peas and the chives.