Jamaican Tropical Chicken
|1/4 cup peanut oil|
|3 and 1/2-4 lb chicken, cut into serving pieces|
|1 onion, minced|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 lb fresh pineapple, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|6 oz water chestnuts, sliced|
|1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped|
|3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Chicken stock, if necessary|
|1/2 lb snow peas|
|1 tbs fresh chives, chopped|
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the chicken pieces until lightly browned on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a heavy covered pan.
- In the oil remaining in the frying pan saute the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, but not browned.
- Add to the chicken, together with the pineapple and any juice, the water chestnuts, hot pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until the chicken is tender and cooked through, About 45 minutes.
- Add a little chicken stock if necessary.
- During the last 10 minutes add the snow peas and the chives.