Bacalao (Salt Cod and Mashed Potatoes)
Recipe courtesy of chef John Bubula.
- 4 Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and boiled until fork tender
- 1/4 lb salt cod, soaked for 24 hours, drained and rough chopped. Change the water several times.
- 3 tbs onion, diced
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs garlic, chopped
- 1 qt whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbs black olives, pitted
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp white truffle oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 24 1/2 inch slices, French baguette
- Saute the onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic, potato, cod and cook until warmed through.
- Slowly add the milk and cream and be careful not to bring to a boil. The mixture should look like mashed potatoes.
- Add the truffle oil, mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool slightly, then add to a food processor and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Serve hot or cold spread on the baguette pieces and garnished with sliced black olives.
Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Council