Pumpernickel Rye Bread
|2 packages dry yeast|
|1 and 1/2 cups warm water|
|2 and 3/4 cups rye flour|
|4 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs caraway seeds|
|2 tbs butter, softened|
|1/3 cup molasses|
|4 cups flour|
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add rye flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let stand all day or overnight.
- Stir in salt, caraway seeds, butter, molasses and 2 cups flour.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat on all sides.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, divide in half and shape into 2 balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet which has been sprinkled with corn meat.
- Let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
- Brush loaves with cold water.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.