Shrimp and Mushroom Omelet
|3 large eggs, separated|
|1 and 1/2 tbs flour|
|1/8 tsp cream of tartar|
|1/4 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tbs unsalted butter|
|1 tsp unsalted butter|
|1/8 tsp white pepper|
|1 tsp fresh parsley, minced|
|1/3 cup small shrimp|
|1/3 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|2 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias|
The cream of tartar and egg whites in this recipe allows the omelet to become delightfully fluffy.
- In a small sauce pan add a little butter and saute the mushrooms and shrimp, until the shrimp is pink and the mushrooms are slightly softened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, set on medium speed, beat yolks until lemon colored.
- Add flour and beat until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the yolk mixture.
- Slowly heat a 10 inch nonstick oven proof skillet.
- When a dab of butter sides in the pan but does not brown, add 1 tbs of butter and tilt the pan so the butter coats the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Spread the egg mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the omelet is puffy and the outside is slightly firm.
- Remove from the oven and add the mushrooms and shrimp.
- Fold the omelet into thirds lengthwise, then turn onto a warm plate.
- Garnish with parsley and sliced scallions.