Beef Stuffed Onions
|4 large onions, peeled|
|1/2 lb lean ground beef|
|1 tsp ground allspice|
|1/2 tsp ground cloves|
|juice of 2 lemons|
|3 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 large egg|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 tbs olive oil|
- Cut onions crosswise and scoop out centers to make shells.
- Chop the removed onion and combine 3 tbs of the onion with the beef, allspice, cloves, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and egg.
- Fill the onion shells with the meat mixture, mounding over top.
- Dust tops with flour, then heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the filled onions to the skillet, and fry, meat side down, just until lightly browned, then remove.
- In the skillet with a cover, arrange the remaining chopped onion in a layer, add lemon juice and enough water to cover.
- Place the filled onions, meat side up over the onion layer.
- Simmer covered for about 1 hour or until the onions are soft and the meat is cooked through.
- If necessary add more water to the pan.