Indian Lamb Korma
|2 lbs lamb leg meat, cut into cubes|
|2 onions, 1 chopped, 1 sliced|
|2 tsp grated ginger|
|4 garlic cloves|
|2 tsp ground coriander|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp cardamom seeds|
|1/4 tsp cloves|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|3 long green chilies, seeded and chopped|
|2 tbs ghee or oil|
|2 and 1/2 tbs tomato paste|
|1/2 cup plain yogurt|
|1/2 cup coconut cream|
|1/2 cup ground almonds|
|toasted slivered almonds for garnish|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Trim any excess fat of sinew from the lamb, cut into 1 and 1/4 inch cubes and put into a large bowl.
- Put the chopped onion, ginger, coriander, cumin, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon, chili and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor and process into a smooth paste.
- Add the spice paste to the lamb and mix well to coat. Let marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large sauce pan, then add the sliced onion and cook, stirring over low heat for 7 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add lamb mixture and cook stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes or until lamb is slightly browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste, yogurt, coconut cream and ground almonds, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and stir occasionally for about 1 hour or until meat is very tender.
- Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with slivered almonds.
- Serve with basmati rice.