|12 very small carrots, chopped|
|1 small bunch celery, chopped|
|2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped|
|1 head cauliflower, chopped|
|1 cup salt|
|2 quarts cold water|
|1 lb small onions, chopped|
|2 quarts white vinegar|
|1/4 cup mustard seeds|
|1 cup olive oil|
|1 tbs crushed red peppers|
|2 and 1/2 cups sugar|
This is a spicy pickled vegetable mixture that is used to complement cold meats and most famously on Italian beef sandwiches.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to a large sterilized container.
- Pour over the olive oil and add the mustard seeds, and crushed pepper.
- In a large sauce pan add the vinegar, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil then simmer until well combined.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. cover and refrigerate overnight before using.
- To use you may add the a sauce pan and heat gently or serve cold.