- 12 very small carrots, chopped
- 1 small bunch celery, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup salt
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 lb small onions, chopped
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs crushed red peppers
- 2 and 1/2 cups sugar
This is a spicy pickled vegetable mixture that is used to complement cold meats and most famously on Italian beef sandwiches.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to a large sterilized container.
- Pour over the olive oil and add the mustard seeds, and crushed pepper.
- In a large sauce pan add the vinegar, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil then simmer until well combined.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. cover and refrigerate overnight before using.
- To use you may add the a sauce pan and heat gently or serve cold.