Bacon Hash Browns
|3 large baking potatoes, peeled and grated|
|4 strips bacon, chopped|
|1 medium onion, grated|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 tbs milk, more if needed|
|1 tbs self rising flour|
|Canola oil for deep frying|
- Peel and grate the potatoes and onion and add to a large bowl.
- Soak the grated potatoes in cold water for about 5 minutes. Pour off the water, then place the potatoes in a clean dish towel or paper towels and squeeze our all of the water.
- Add the potatoes, chopped bacon, milk, flour, salt and pepper to potatoes and combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- To fry add the potato mixture carefully by the tablespoon full into the hot oil in batches, turning half way through cooking, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Cook until golden brown, then drain on paper towels.
- Alternatively you may add whole sliced bacon pieces atop the hash browns and cook in the same manner as pictured.