- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 quarts of boiling salted water
- 1 and 1/2 lbs ground beef
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs fresh dill, chopped or 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned Italian tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
This cabbage is stuffed with ground beef and rice, although you could use chicken, pork or lamb. It is spiced with cinnamon, dill and fresh lemon juice.
- Remove 12-15 large outer leaves from the cabbage. (reserve the rest for another purpose)
- Drop the leaves into boiling slated water for 3 minutes, the drain in a colander.
- Combine the ground meat with some salt, pepper, cinnamon, 1 tbs dill, rice and egg and mix well.
- Place a heaping tbs of the filling on each cabbage leaf and fold to form an envelope and secure with a wooden toothpick
- In a large pot or dutch oven combine stock, tomatoes, salt lemon juice and 1 tbs of dill and bring to a simmer
- Place the cabbage envelopes carefully into the stock, cover and cook gently for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and cook rapidly to reduce sauce.
- To serve spoon reduced sauce over cabbage.