|1 large head of cabbage|
|2 quarts of boiling salted water|
|1 and 1/2 lbs ground beef|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
|2 tbs fresh dill, chopped or 2 tsp dried dill|
|1/2 cup cooked rice|
|1 cup chicken stock|
|1 cup canned Italian tomatoes|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
This cabbage is stuffed with ground beef and rice, although you could use chicken, pork, or lamb. It is spiced with cinnamon, dill, and fresh lemon juice. Perfect dish for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Remove 12-15 large outer leaves from the cabbage. (reserve the rest for another purpose)
- Drop the leaves into boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Combine the ground meat with some salt, pepper, cinnamon, 1 tbs dill, rice, and egg and mix well.
- Place a heaping tbsp of the filling on each cabbage leaf and fold to form an envelope and secure with a wooden toothpick
- In a large pot or dutch oven combine stock, tomatoes, salt lemon juice, and 1 tbs of dill and bring to a simmer
- Place the cabbage envelopes carefully into the stock, cover, and cook gently for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and cook rapidly to reduce the sauce.
- To serve spoon-reduced sauce over the cabbage.