Buttermilk Fried Fish
- 8 medium white fish fillets, or you may use whole croaker, spot or perch
- Oil for deep frying
- For the Fry Mix:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- dash of kosher salt and black pepper
Save your money and make your own seafood fry mix. This mix is superior to the box varieties and you can make it for pennies on the dollar.
- Add the ingredients for the fry mix to a shallow baking dish and mix well.
- Soak the fish fillets in the buttermilk for about 2 minutes, the remove and let excess drain off.
- Dredge the fillets in the cornmeal mixture, knocking off the excess.
- Fill a sauce pan of deep fryer, 1/3 full with oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- Fry the fillets in the hot oil in batches for 3-5 minutes depending on thickness.
- Serve hot.