Buttermilk Fried Fish
|8 medium white fish fillets, or you may use whole croaker, spot or perch|
|Oil for deep frying|
|For the Fry Mix:|
|1 cup flour|
|1 cup corn meal|
|2 tsp garlic powder|
|2 tsp onion powder|
|dash of kosher salt and black pepper|
Save your money and make your own seafood fry mix. This mix is superior to the box varieties and you can make it for pennies on the dollar.
- Add the ingredients for the fry mix to a shallow baking dish and mix well.
- Soak the fish fillets in the buttermilk for about 2 minutes, the remove and let excess drain off.
- Dredge the fillets in the cornmeal mixture, knocking off the excess.
- Fill a sauce pan of deep fryer, 1/3 full with oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- Fry the fillets in the hot oil in batches for 3-5 minutes depending on thickness.
- Serve hot.