Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes for a Crowd
- 24 lbs crab meat
- 6 sticks butter
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups bread crumbs
- 2 dozen eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1/2 cup old bay seasoning
- 6 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tbs black pepper
- 1 lb flour for dredging
- peanut oil for frying
This is a recipe that will serve a crowd of 50. It may be reduced or increased as desired.
- Melt butter, add onions and cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Mix crab meat, onions, bread crumbs, eggs and seasonings.
- Form into small cakes and roll in flour, knocking off excess.
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry the crab cakes in the oil in batches until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serves 50. 2 (5 oz) crab cakes each.