Fresh Tomato Sauce
|3 lbs ripe roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1/8 cup butter|
|1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|3 garlic cloves, chopped|
|2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped|
|1 yellow onion, chopped|
|2 celery stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|3 bay leaves|
|3 tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped|
|3 tsp fresh thyme|
|1/4 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs sugar|
This sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots, garlic, butter, and fresh herbs. It is very easy to prepare and absolutely delicious. The key word for this recipe is totally fresh.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the carrot, onions, celery and garlic.
- Pulse until vegetables are finely chopped but not pureed.
- In a large stock pot add the butter and olive oil, add the vegetables and using medium heat, saute, stirring frequently until tender, but not browned. About 5-8 minuets
- Add the tomatoes and season with a little salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Stir frequently.
- If mixture is too dry add a little water.
- Add the bay leaves to the sauce, partially cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking add the oregano, thyme, and basil and mix well.
- Strain the sauce through a wire mesh strainer if desired, or use as is.
- Before serving taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Makes about 3 and 1/2 cups of sauce.