Cheese Grits with Sausage and Eggs
|1 lb bulk pork sausage|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|4 cups water|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 cup quick grits|
|3 (4 oz) cans green chilies, chopped|
|1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided|
|1 1/2 cups Monterrey jack cheese, shredded, divided|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 tsp hot pepper sauce|
|3 eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 tsp paprika|
|fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until sausage is cooked through, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits, then reduce heat to medium low, covered, about 5 minutes or until thicken, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add green chilies, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup jack cheese, butter and pepper sauce.
- Stir until cheese has melted, then stir in the eggs, then the sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish, then top with remaining cheeses and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving, then sprinkle with cilantro.