Chicken Fried Steak with Pan Gravy
- 2 lbs round steak
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tbs flour, divided
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs kitchen boquet
- Cut steak into medium serving pieces, then place each between 2 pieces of wax paper and using a meat pounder, pound lightly.
- Place 1/2 cup flour into a plastic bag, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place each piece of steak in the bag and shake to coat the meat.
- Place steak, onion, green pepper and oil in a skillet and cook on low to medium heat until the steak is cooked thoroughly on both sides.
- Remove steak from skillet and place on a wire rack to remove any excess fat.
- In the skillet, with the drippings, add 1 tbs of flour, salt and pepper and stir until the mixture forms a slightly thick paste. About 5-8 minutes. Add the kithen boquet.
- Once the paste (roux) has formed slowly add chicken stock, a little at a time until a smooth gravy has formed. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Add the steak and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour.