Crab Meat au Gratin
|4 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 scallions, chopped, white and green parts|
|2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed|
|4 tbs flour|
|1 1/2 cups half and half|
|3 tbs dry sherry|
|4 tsp old bay seasoning|
|4 dashes Tabasco|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 lb lump crab meat|
|1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated|
|1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated|
|crackers and crusty bread for serving|
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan, then add the scallions and garlic, and cook over medium high heat until softened, stirring often.
- Add the flour and continue stirring for about 5 minutes until a light roux is formed.
- Add the milk and keep stirring until the sauce thickens and is smooth, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry, Old Bay seasoning, Tabasco, salt and pepper, stir to combine, then remove from the heat.
- Combine 1 3/4 cup of the Gruyere, and mozzarella, and crab meat and add to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish, then top with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with crackers and crusty bread.