Fresh Corn Fritters
|4 tbs peanut oil|
|1 small onion, minced|
|1 red chili, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|11 oz canned or frozen corn, drained|
|6 scallions, thinly sliced|
|1 large egg, lightly beaten|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
|3 tbs flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|scallion curls for garnish|
|Chili garlic sauce for serving|
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a skillet, then add the onion and cook gently for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chilie, garlic and ground coriander and cook for a minute more, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Drain the corn and add to a large bowl.
- Lightly crush the corn with a potato masher to break down the corn a little.
- Add the cooked onion mixture along with the scallions and beaten egg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir to mix together.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture, then stir in.
- Heat 2 tbs of the oil in a large skillet.
- Drop 4 or 5 heaping tbs of the corn mixture into the pan and using a spatula flatten each to make each fritter about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fry the fritters for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown on the underside, then turn over and fry for an additional 3 minutes or until cooked through. and crisp.
- Remove the fritters from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish the fritters with scallion curs and serve with the sauce of your choice.