Italian Calamari in Tomato Sauce
|2 lbs fresh calamari, tenacles and bodies|
|3 cloves garlic|
|1/2 onion, minced|
|1 stalk celery, finely chopped|
|1 carrot, grated|
|1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped|
|1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce|
|1/4 cup dry red wine|
|1/4 cup clam juice|
|1/2 tbs dry oregano|
|2 (1 inch) pieces lemon peel|
|pinch of sugar|
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Fresh flat leaf parsley for garnish|
- Add the olive oil to a hot sauce pan, then add the onions, celery and garlic. Saute using medium heat until onions have softened. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the carrots, tomato sauce, red wine, clam juice, oregano, lemon peel and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then add the calamari and cook for 2-3 minutes. Calamari cooks very quickly, so take care not to over cook.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.