- 1 whole white sapper, about 2 lbs
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 1 habanero pepper, whole
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- juice and zest from 2 limes
This recipe uses fresh whole white snapper, but you may use red snapper or any whole fish may be cooked in this manner.
- Remove any scales from the fish, then remove the insides of the fish leaving the head and tail intact.
- Squeeze lime juice all over the fish, inside and out, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic cloves to the inside of the fish along with a small bunch of thyme.
- Place the fish on a 12 x 12 sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil then add the habanero, bell peppers,lime zest and onions.
- Seal the foil in a tight package and place over hot coals and close the grill.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until peppers are slightly cooked and the fish flakes easily.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Recipe may be multiplied.