|3-4 lb whole pork belly, skin intact|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 medium red onion, minced|
|1 stalk lemon grass, halved|
|1 1/2 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|2 tsp vinegar|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tbs coconut oil|
|1-1 banana leaves, for roasting pan|
|1 cup water or chicken stock|
- Remove pork belly from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking. Pat dry with paper towel.
- In a food processor, combine garlic, red onion, and vinegar until a smooth paste has formed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, then season the meat side of the pork belly with salt, black pepper and paste.
- Place the lemon grass stalk and scallions in the center of the pork belly.
- Roll the pork with the skin side on top and use kitchen string to tie the roll at 2 inch intervals, then rub the skin with soy sauce.
- Line a roasting pan with banana leaves and pour 1 cup of water or stock over the leaves.
- Place the pork roll in the pan, cover loosely with foil and roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove foil and brush the skin with coconut oil, place back in the oven and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the skin is very crispy.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.